Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Guess I Am In Good Company

I've been busy y'all. Busy living and loving, and loving and living. And it feels good. Each day I am excited to see what new thing I am going to discover about me...or better yet, what new things someone else is going to notice about me. I feel like a new person since I have been doing all this purging. I feel like a weight has been lifted since I have exposed MOST of my sins...can't tell it all, oh the Po-Pos will be knocking at my door.

It's funny how much of the old me is turning up in this new woman I am transforming into...So much of the me that I missed that I thought was dead. I don't have many vices. I am pretty much a homebody. I would rather shoot the bo-bo and watch movies with my inner circle than go out all night partying. UNLESS it is my school's homecoming, then LUV gets it in. I will go out and shake it like nobody's business. I still don't really drink...I ain't afraid nor ashamed to say I can't hold my liquor. Chucky and CsB probably can hold their liquor better than me. Imma have to bring wine coolers back...but even that's too strong.

I like to eat good food. I like to laugh even if it's at myself. I like good chocolate cuz yes there is some nasty chocolate in this world. I like to play games (cards, dominoes, board games, Wii). And I like to go to plays and concerts. I love good music. I used to treat myself to a concert at least once a year...depending on who was coming to town, sometimes two.


But somewhere along the way, I stopped being good to myself. I stopped doing things for myself and I missed that...I can't say it is a finance thing cuz money has always been funny over here. So a couple of months ago, I took myself to see Monica, and she sang her tail off...had me in there remembering why I loved live performances so much. Well, the other day, I took myself to see Ms. Fantasia. I drove the 2 hours to Richmond in 5 hours (don't even ask) got there to find out that it was going to be outside (it was 103 degrees) and I was in a dress (looking good for myself) and my cousin's friend didn't bring me a chair like she said she was (yeah, I won't be inviting her to join me again) and the hat I brought only served to help me look like I was set to pick cotton. (hello Celie)


To say that I was perturbed would be an understatement. I could feel my head start to tighten and not just cuz I was losing what looked like a gallon of water from my body by the minute. I hate being unprepared. But, right before I was getting ready to move from agitated to pissed off, I reminded myself that I had a choice to make and depending on the choice I made, it would determine how good of a time I had seeing one of my favorite singers.

Let's just say I am soooooooo glad that I made the choice to #makeitdowhatitdo and have a great time inspite of all of my challenges. My not having a chair made it easier for me to get up to the stage to be close and personal with Ms. Tasia who said she wasn't coming out on stage until they removed the gates cuz 'she wasn't into segregating her people' (i know that's right) and my choice also made it easier for Ms. Tasia to grab my hand and hold it for awhile as she sang this song, while watching the tears run down my doublecrispy face (cuz at 10:00 pm it was 100 degrees outside)


This is one of my favorite songs off her upcoming album...


"Sometimes in life we lose sight of the fact that we didn't come into this world walking or running, that there are stages and processes for everything, and no one but God is immune from having to learn how to do something, cuz even angels have to receive instructions on how to do their job...so when you crawling, remember, you are in good company."

~Gotta Luv Moi, Cuz I Surely Do (Smooches)

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you chose to enjoy the show. Sounds like it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at 103 degrees. Heck to the heck to the heck to the nall. (yeah I meant to type it like that) What's this I hear that you have secrets where even the po-po would come knocking, shoot in that case, don't we all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantasia was at Fridays at Sunset? I went there to see Boys II Men (minus one boy) a couple of years ago. It was hot as heck! I usually travel with an emergency lawn chair (that's typically designated for my son's baseball games), but I was standing up so much that I didn't need it.

    Glad that you had a geat time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great post! yes sometimes we have to chuck up the day and decide to smile, to laugh, to love and not dwell on the things that can tear us down. i am glad you had a wonderful concert experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you took something that could have been "lemony" and saw the bright side to it. Keep enjoying the ride and discovery of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it's been so long....sounds like you are having fun. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Guys, sorry so late with my responses, I have been on a cross country roadtrip and I wasn't able to blog.. but i did live ; )


    @Chele, I am glad too! The show was awesome..she was up there sweating and we were on the lawn sweating..she is sooooo down to earth which made it so much easier to 'free yourself'

    @Queen, if you could have seen my face when I found out it was outside and when I found out it wasn't just in my head that it was Equator hot,you would have fell out laughing.. but yeah sometimes it is hard to remember that we all are human and all have sinned

    @LB yeah, that's what it was called..honey everybody out there was laughing at me cuz I was the only one who didn't know Sunset was outside...I think Ms. Badu is closing it out for them...20 bucks to see her ain't bad.

    @MsKnowItAll ~ I am glad too..and it was a huge accomplishment for me cuz I have been known to mope and sulk and pout just to make sure you know I am not happy...but in the end it only hurts me..

    @Ali, thanks lady...I am really appreciating my journey and learning what life and love is really about

    @Chic Mama no worries..I need to figure out why I can't get to you...it says i am following but it is only old stuff..thx goodness for twitter.

    ReplyDelete